Notarijiri-juku was the next station after Tsurukawa-juku when traveling from Edo, and flourished as a mid-size post station from the Edo Period to the Meiji Period. There was one main lodging (honjin) and one sub lodging (waki-honjin), and nine inns (hatago) set together along the street, which was about 400 meters long and featured sharp turns at its beginning and end. When Emperor Meiji visited Yamanashi Prefecture in June of 1880, he stopped at this post station.
The main lodging had 12 rooms in a floor area covering approx. 317 m2, which made it a distinctive building; however, it was destroyed by fire in 1886. There is a stone monument noting that Emperor Meiji stopped to rest at the site during a journey.


Let's go to the next spot!