Shimotorisawa-shuku was the next station after Inume-shuku when traveling from Edo. It has old houses with roofs or eaves lining both sides of the street. It had a traditional post-station townscape; however, much was destroyed by a large fire in 1906. The remaining buildings were built in and after the Meiji Period (1868-1912).
It is only 1 km away from Kamitorisawa-shuku, the next station to the west. Because of their proximity, the two lodgings opened semimonthly by turns. This style of operation by two post stations was called aishuku, and was described in the Shukuson Taigai-cho (Overview of Post Stations and Lodgings along the Five Highways): “Kamitorisawa-suku opened during the first 15 days of the month and Shimotorisawa-shuku opened during the last 15 days of the month.”


Let's go to the next spot!